Application Deadline: November 9, 2019
The Algerian Youth Leadership Program is a leadership development opportunity for Algerian and American youth, ages 15-17. This cultural and academic exchange will take place in Reno, Nevada and Washington, DC from June 15-July 8, 2020, with an orientation in Algiers from June 12-14, 2020. The program will employ an interactive approach both in workshops and in a range of public and community settings.
Through engagement in the activities, youth and adult participants will better understand civic participation, the rights and responsibilities of citizens in a democracy and the role that social enterprises play in a community. The program is highly academic and provides participants with the skills to complete a required post-program service project in their local communities.
Youth who are eligible to apply are those who:
• are a legal citizen of Algeria
• will be 15, 16 or 17 years old on or before June 12, 2020
• have demonstrated English skills, sufficient for understanding academic discussion and everyday social interactions
• have at least one year of high school remaining after the program. If you are selected as a semifinalist, you will be required to submit an original high school transcript and a school certificate to verify that you have at least one year of high school remaining.
• have demonstrated leadership in their schools and/or communities
• have interest in the program themes of social entrepreneurship, leadership and project development and would like to participate in academic classes and do work to develop in these areas
• have permission from their parent(s) or legal guardian to participate in the entire program
• do not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement, or the U.S. Department of State
Adult Participant Requirements:
Adult Participants who are eligible to apply are those who:
• Are legal citizens of Algeria
• Work actively mentoring youth in their professional or volunteer activities
• Are community leaders
• Have excellent English
• Are committed to working with the Youth Leadership Program participants after their return from the United States and assist in the implementation of community projects
• Have travel experience outside of their home state or province (international travel experience is not required). Program staff will travel with you to the U.S.
• Are committed to the goals and ideals of the program, including civic leadership, diversity and fostering regional and global interactions
• Are not employed by and/or do not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement or the U.S. Department of State