The African Leadership University in Collaboration with the Alibaba Business School Global Ecommerce Talent Programme is organizing the Africa edition of the GET Global Challenge 2020. The Challenge is themed: Digital Solutions during COVID-19 and beyond. The Africa edition is a part of the larger Global competition hosted by Alibaba Business School and is taking place in several countries across the world. Read more about it here. The challenge is seeking innovative digital solutions to support people, businesses and institutions during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond.
In 2020, we have all witnessed a disruption to daily life, work and much more due to the spread of the coronavirus across the world. In such times, our world becomes vulnerable and we have to ensure we have solutions that protect everyone or can improve the conditions in which we all exist. This challenge seeks to inspire and support young people who are especially digital natives to innovate with technology to provide solutions for all walks of life. These digital solutions can come in any form and be from any field. However, the solutions should promote resilience, inclusion, and access to services that people need during times like these. This, in essence, is a social innovation challenge.
This challenge will take place online/virtually unless otherwise announced.
GET Africa Region Challenge Timelines
The competition will proceed through 3 rounds of selection before the global finals. As participants proceed across each round, they will be provided with live-streamed training, coaching, and support to develop their businesses.
- Initial Applications and 1st Selection round: April 10, 2020 – May 4, 2020
- Coaching provided by Alibaba GET team and 2nd Selection round: May 9, 2020 – June 5, 2020
- Execution of Business and Regional selection: June 11, 2020 – August 11, 2020
- Regional finals: August 13-15, 2020
- Global Finals: August 17-25, 2020
The challenge is open to young budding entrepreneurs who meet the following criteria:
- 18 to 30 years of age
- Sign up as teams of 3-5 members, with at least one member that can communicate effectively in the English Language
- Have a new business idea or a running business that has been in operation for less than 1 year
- Have not received institutional funding of more than USD100,000 for the current project
There will be prizes across both regional and global levels including:
- Up to 14,000 USD of business funding
- A digital economy discovery trip to Alibaba Headquarters in Hangzhou, China
- Admission to Alibaba GET Talent bank, connected with potential mentors, investors, employers, and business opportunities
- Special prizes at the regional level to be announced
In addition, participants will get access to:
- Premium digital economy and entrepreneurship education content through online training from Alibaba Business School and from African Leadership University
The initial applications require basic information as follows:
- Details of every team member
- A short description of the problem you are trying to solve
- A short description of your proposed solution
- A short statement on why your team is best fit to solve this problem.