APPLICATION DEADLINE: JANUARY 30TH, 2020
The BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge
Awards recognize fundamental contributions in a broad array of areas of scientific knowledge, technology, humanities and artistic creation, as listed in point 2 of these call conditions
The disciplines and domains of the BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards are:
- Basic Sciences (Physics, Chemistry,
- Biology and Biomedicine
Information and Communication
- Ecology and Conservation Biology
Economics, Finance and Management
Humanities and Social Sciences
Music and Opera
The Climate Change award recognizes both research endeavors in confronting this challenge and impactful actions Informed by the best science. In Humanities and Social Sciences, the award will alternate annually between these two disciplinary domains, with this fourteenth edition dedicated to the Social Sciences. Finally, the Music and Opera category encompasses composition, instrumental and vocal performance, musical and stage direction, and video art creation associated with musical or operatic works
• The BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Awards consist of 400,000 euros, a diploma and a commemorative artwork in each of their eight categories.
• In the event that an award is shared by more than one person its monetary amount will be divided equally among all recipients.
• All awards, in whatever category will b subject to the withholding and other taxes prescribed by current legislation, which will be deducted from their total amount
Candidates may be one or more natural persons of any nationality, without limitation of number, that have made independent or convergent contributions to a given advance, whether due to a formal collaboration (with the nominees belonging to one or more groups) or parallel working. The awards are also open to scientific or cultural organizations that can be collectively credited with exceptional contributions to scientific knowledge, cultural creation or the fight against climate change
• Awards may not be granted posthumously
Self-nomination is not permitted.
Any scientific or cultural organization or institution can submit nominations, following their own internal procedures. Among them:
• Scientific or artistic societies and organizations
• National and regional academies of science or culture
• Public or private R&D centers
• University schools, departments or institutes
and research or teaching institutes • Hospital departments and biomedical
• Schools of music
• Orchestras, orchestra associations, opera theaters and opera associations
• Public agencies and supranational, national or regional organizations substantially engaged in analysis and/or activities relating to climate
• Other scientific, cultural and environment and organizations.